(Also, the blog feed on my website thinks that the date is Tuesday the 30th of November, in the year -1. It has trouble dealing with less than two posts.)
So, late as usual, I thought I'd better introduce myself.
Hi! I'm Matthew Hurd, and here's a list of things you probably don't need to know about me:
- I have a degree in animation, but since finishing university I've had a varied career involving Flash design, web design, secret military work (really), freelance illustration, freelance animation, and working in a zoo. I'm also a semi-competent programmer, hence the website.
- I am about to start work as a graphic designer on yet another military contract (less secret this time) at a naval base in Cornwall - which is a little frightening as I start in just over a week and still have no idea where I'm going to live once I get there. Needless to say, I'm house / flat / room-hunting like a beast right now.
- I love film, books, comics, imported HBO television shows; anything involved in the creation of worlds and universes really - which I suppose ties back into the animation. I'm probably a little too knowledgable about Star Wars, and I found myself addicted to Bionicle at one point. Philip Reeve may currently be my favourite world-builder.
- I'm working on approximately fourteen-thousand worlds and universes of my own; be that in the form of short films, short stories, comics, long films, long stories, computer games, or at least one extensive television saga. Some of these may even get made!
- I love science - particularly evolutionary biology, and particularly not physical chemistry (sorry chemists). Learning something new about anything at all is always interesting and exciting!
- I'm an atheist and a humanist, I believe in the importance of rationalism, reason and critical thought, I'm liable to rant at length about homeopathy in the middle of pharmacies, and I'm a Sagittarius.
With that out of the way, hopefully now I can use this blog to actually talk about some of those things above. And hopefully my date counter knows what year it is.
Like I said: semi-competent.
Now I'll do what I always do after introductions have been made, and head for the kitchen.